Calcium hypochlorite is an inorganic compound with formula Ca(ClO)2. Calcium hypochlorite is one of the most widely used bleaching, sanitation and disinfecting agents in the world. Calcium hypochlorite is considered to be the best product to be used in swimming pool water treatment.
As a mixture with lime and calcium chloride, it is marketed as chlorine powder or bleach powder for water treatment and as a bleaching agent. It is an integral component of bleaching powder which also includes calcium chloride and slaked lime. Calcium hypochlorite is the second most used chemical type in the hypochlorite market; sodium hypochlorite (liquid bleach) being the most used type.
However calcium hypochlorite has more available chlorine and is relatively more stable than liquid bleach. It smells of chlorine, owing to its slow decomposition in moist air it is used in a variety of applications, the most important being as a disinfectant and cleaner.
- Used as a chlorine compound, which is highly effective against several micro organisms such as algae, bacteria, fungi, slime and other harmful and unwanted micro-organisms which exist in the environment, Swimming Pool, Hot Tub, and Spas
- Used as disinfect and sanitize pool sides, pool bottom, diving boards, decks, ladders and other surfaces.
- Is used to treat waste water and disinfect sewages. It is commonly used as a bleaching agent and also finds application as industrial sanitizer.
- Used for treating wells, ponds, lakes, controlling and removing algae in reservoirs, water bodies filters and other water treatment equipment. Calcium hypochlorite in tablet form is also used in potable water treatment applications.
- Used to treat toxic waste water emitted by tanneries, textile mills, paper mills, and food processing plants among others.
- Some other uses of calcium hypochlorite include sanitation of food (vegetables, fruits etc) and beverage containers, equipment in dairy farming, restaurants, farms and hospitals
- Industrial uses : On large scale industrial facilities, power plants, paper mills, pharmaceutical plants, automotive assembly facilities, mines and all other such manufacturing units and segments need sanitized water as a part of their manufacturing process thus it is used in many of these industries to provide sanitised water for rinsing, spraying, coating, washing or cooling during processing.